If You Snooze You Lose
What does this phrase mean to you? I happen to say this a lot because it can be applied to all sorts of things. Since it has been coming to mind so frequently lately, I decided to make a post about it.
If you find excuses not to exercise or start eating right today, then snooze you lose because you won’t be losing those extra pounds you keep talking about. You won’t be in the shape you would like to be in. You won’t be as healthy as you’d like to be. People make excuses all the time like I don’t have time to exercise or I’ll start after the holidays or I’ll start on Monday. By Friday you’ve made an excuse to cheat. It’s very easy to find creative ways to get that body moving that doesn’t even seem like exercise. Take a nice walk, dance or try a new exercise routine (youtube is full of ideas!) Instead of watching television or playing on social media, I turn on my favorite music and I keep my body in motion until my playlist is done. It’s relaxing and uplifting for me. Even on days I feel so tired and don’t feel like it, once I turn on that music, it seems like it lights a fire and I can’t help myself.
What about facing a fear? Are you afraid to go after something because you might not fare as well as you would like? Are you afraid to get out of your comfort zone? If you don’t, then snooze you lose. You will never know how it could have turned out if you let the opportunity pass you by or wait until the moment or circumstances are perfect. If you don’t go for that promotion for fear of rejection or ask that person out that you are attracted to, you risk the chance of someone else scooping up what you wanted but were too afraid to go after.
What about making a dream a reality? If you do the same routine day after day, then snooze you lose. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Change it up! Why aren’t you going for that dream? Take action and start learning what it would take to start making that dream come true.
The point is to stop letting life pass you by and start doing things that make you happy. As FDR said, “the only thing to fear is fear itself.” If you are looking for a little motivation, contact me at www.healthandpositivevibes.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and let a qualified life and health coach get you from snoozing to moving!
Healthy Sugar Alternatives
Just because sugar is not good for you, doesn’t mean you can’t indulge in sweet treats. There are alternatives to processed sugar.
But first, why am I talking about high-quality sweeteners?
We’ve all heard that too much highly processed, refined sugar can have devastating effects on your metabolism and contribute to all sorts of diseases like obesity and diabetes. This is very serious because:
- Sugar has lots of calories with no essential nutrients. It can cause tooth decay by feeding harmful bacteria in your mouth!
- If you eat high quantities of refined, processed sugar and do not exercise you are at risk, for an excess of sugar, to get lodged in your liver and cause nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. (1 in 4 Americans have fatty liver disease) If untreated, it can progress to cirrhosis of the liver and eventually the need for a liver transplant. Those who are obese and diabetic also tend to be hypertensive. They have a higher risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke and possibly dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- When you consume too much sugar, it can cause insulin resistance which can lead to diseases like metabolic syndrome, obesity, cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes. Diabetes, heart disease, cancer, stroke and Alzheimer’s account for 5 of the top 10 causes of death in the US.
- An excess amount of sugar can have a devastating effect on your metabolism, which is now known to lead to cancer.
- Sugar is highly addictive because after ingestion it causes a huge release of dopamine in your brain.
- Sugar is a major contributor to heart disease, which is the number one killer in the world. But what many people don’t realize is that there are healthier alternative sweeteners out there that won’t damage your health as much and taste just as sweet, if not more!
Some high-quality sweet alternatives to processed sugar are:
- Stevia—a plant used by the Guarani people of South America for more than 1500 years:
- Tastes about 300 times sweeter than table sugar
- No calories, no impact on blood sugar and may reduce blood pressure
- Make sure to buy only 100% whole leaf stevia… look for RebA
- Xylitol—a sugar alcohol that is neither sugar nor alcohol but is actually an organic compound:
- About the same sweetness as table sugar
- Comes from a non-GMO plant source
- Low in calorie and no effect on blood sugars
- Erythritol—also a sugar alcohol like Xylitol
- About 70% as sweet as table sugar and tastes just like it
- It is 100% Erythritol
- Nearly non-caloric doesn’t spike blood sugar and is easily digested
- Coconut palm sugar—from the sap of cut flower buds of the coconut palm:
- Same sweetness as table sugar
- Look for labels that say coconut sugar, coconut crystals or coconut palm sugar
- Has a low glycemic index and contains some nutrients and fiber
- Agave—produced from the leaves of this Mexican succulent plant
- It is about one and a half times sweeter than table sugar
- Make sure to buy organic agave
- It lowers the glycemic index more than table sugar does
- Slightly sweeter than table sugar
- Buy raw, local and organic honey
- Can help boost immune system and seasonal allergies and soothe sore throats
- Lucuma powder—produced from this subtropical fruit native to South America:
- Sweet, maple flavor
- It is 100% lucuma powder
- Can help boost immune system, no effect on blood sugar and contains nutrients
- Maple syrup—made from the sap of sugar, red or black maple trees:
- About 3 times sweeter than table sugar
- Buy organic pure grade B maple syrup
- Lower fructose content than table sugar but don’t be fooled it’s still sugar
- Monk fruit (lo han gou)—made from a green melon that grows in the mountaintops of Asia:
- About 200 or 300 times sweeter than table sugar
- Buy pure monk fruit or pure lo han gou sweetener
- Non-caloric, no impact on blood sugar and may be anti-inflammatory
How can I use one of these alternative sweeteners in my cooking?
Here’s an awesome, healthy and sweet recipe for Candied Walnuts to get you started:
Prep time: 5 mins; Serves: 4
1 cup raw walnuts, chopped or whole; 1 tsp cinnamon; 2 T coconut oil; 1 T honey salt to taste
In a medium hot frying pan, add coconut oil, walnuts, salt and cinnamon. Cook until toasted, about 10 min. In the last couple minutes, add the honey for a sweeter taste.
A Health Coach in Allentown can help you make a change that will greatly benefit your health. Fill out the Contact page now to schedule a time to talk with me about the next steps you can take. I am here to help you make a plan to reduce or eliminate processed sugar in your diet and substitute with alternative sweeteners that will completely change your life!
Spark a Change
How is life going for you right now? Is there room for improvement in your personal life or career? Maybe you feel like this is the best there is. Sometimes people get so caught up in going through the motions that they don’t consider striving for improvement. Maybe you have been thinking about making some changes in your life but you don’t know where to start or you feel like there’s no hope and that this is the best you will ever get. Do you feel like you aren’t smart enough or that good things only happen to lucky people? I used to feel the same way. I reached a point in my life a couple of years ago and felt restless. I knew there was something better for me out there, but I had no clue what. I wasn’t happy with certain relationships in my life and although I loved my job, I knew deep inside there was more to life for me than what I was doing. I wasn’t feeling fulfilled anymore. I desperately needed a change. So, I started reading some self-help books and hired a life coach. I ended up finding my passion and was taught how I could turn that passion into an income. I never dreamed I could make a career out of something I loved to do! How silly, right?
I’m here to tell you that you are in charge of your life. You are solely responsible for how successful or happy you are. Look at your current circumstances and think about what you can do to make some improvements. If you aren’t satisfied with the status quo, start taking action. Little steps are better than no steps. Those little steps can pave the way for big results. You have to start somewhere. If you do the same thing day after day, you will get the same results day after day.
What would you like to change? Would you like a promotion or a whole new career? Could you use more love and joy in your life? Here are some ideas to help you kick it up a notch and spark a change:
- Read self-improvement books.
- Take a class.
- Check out meet-ups in your area at meetup.com
- Change up your routine. Go somewhere different.
- Try new foods.
- Start friending like-minded people or hang around people you want to be like.
- Volunteer by helping in your community.
- Practice healthy habits—eat better, exercise, read food and product labels.
- Go for walks. Connect with nature.
- Make it a point to be kind to someone today.
- Smile. It’s contagious.
- Adopt a positive attitude. Love more. Complain less. Don’t worry. Be happy.
- Find your passion. Learn more about it. Become an expert.
- Start living as if every day were an adventure.
- Face your fears.
- Inspire others. Be a role model.
- Laugh more!
- Appreciate all your blessings. Give gratitude and watch those blessings grow.
- Do something nice for yourself.
- Strive to have a “first” experience at least once a week
Start small and see what happens. You never know where those steps will lead you.
Seductive Tips for Eating More Sensually
Let me fill you in on my sensuality secrets that will have you gaining more erotic pleasure from your food!
How do you celebrate your mealtime? I urge you to slow down and participate in your next meal by engaging all of your senses. The next time you shop for, cook and eat a meal, make it a divine, extraordinary experience. Researchers have estimated that up to 40% of our digestive response to a meal is due to the Cephalic Phase Digestive Response or CPDR. This means that the thought, sight, and smell of food stimulates gastric secretions in preparation of digestion even before you take your first bite. The anticipation is what makes it so pleasurable! Your brain must encounter this pleasure and fulfillment from the thought of food even before eating in order to signal to your body to stimulate digestive juices. If you eat absentmindedly or too quickly, your brain will interpret this unsatisfying experience as hunger. You will probably still feel hungry even if you’ve eaten a large meal! Stop eating mindlessly and start giving your undivided attention to the food you are eating and you will be amazed at the effect it will have on your weight and your body because you will eat less. When you don’t feel like you are depriving yourself, you become more satiated with the experience and therefore eat less.
The way to eat more sensually is:
- Sight: Relish the colors and shape of your food. Appreciate the beauty of what mother nature has helped to provide.
- Smell: Bring the food up to your nose like you’ve never smelled anything like it. Let the magnificent aroma fill you with erotic excitement.
- Touch: Feel the texture of your food. When you make your meal, try getting your hands dirty, touch it and play with it.
- Environment: Create a more sexy environment when you eat. Play romantic music, light candles, use the good linen napkins, special china, and crystal. Turn off distractions like the television and your phone.
- Texture: Feel the texture of your food. Try chewing your food about 30 times per bite and really notice the texture while chewing. Relax, breathe, chew.
- Pamper Yourself: You probably don’t make a habit out of this, but why not? Use special ingredients to make your meal extra delectable like French black truffles, imported high-quality extra virgin olive oil or a dessert made with dark chocolate!
Sensual Transformational Coaching
Women can find pleasure in a lot of things. Why not choose foods that are nutritious as well as delicious? Smell it, taste it, savor it! Feel the orgasmic power of your food. Let it heal you. Mmmm! No more mindless eating! Why not take the time to really enjoy your meals by honoring your body and what you put into it. Feel that amazing energy from your food as you take that first bite and feel the texture in your mouth, chewing slowly and thoroughly enjoying that sensual pleasure.
In my Lehigh Valley transformational health coaching practice, I help my clients identify their favorite ways to implement sensual eating daily! Fill out the contact form today for a one-on-one session.